Welcome to Lake Cumberland

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RELAX

Fireworks 2020

Had a most awesome time with the wife watching the stateroom fireworks display. The weather was awesome, the crowds were manageable and a wonderful show of fireworks!

Only thing I didn't understand was I didn't see anyone with a mask or no sign of any social distancing especially on the covidbus...I mean shuttle. Can't imagine how many people from how many states were on that van all piled together so I decided to hoof it.

Hope everyone makes it home virus free but can't see how it is possible!

Good to hear it was a good show. The show in Lexington was pretty good as well. 

I am surprised that you are surprised about the usage of masks. I have not seen one mask on the dock, lake, or ramp this year. I have rarely seen one used in Jamestown unless it was a waiter or someone at work.

To be completely honest, I never wear one unless it cannot be avoided. I try to stay social distant (I have been practicing all my life for that skill :)) as often as possible and wash my hands frequently but the mask is a bridge too far for me. It does nothing to protect me and very little to protect anyone else.

The two marina restaurants we have seen so far - Rowena and Fishtales, were not following state guidelines for reopening.  Outside seating and table spacing were appropriate, but no masks on anybody.  Lots of happy customers regardless and nobody complained that I'm aware of.  

We were out cruising around yesterday afternoon and went by Jamestown Marina. I saw 6 women get off a bow rider and every one put a mask on as soon as they stepped on the dock. That was a first for me this year.

As usual, no one had a mask on at the Ramp or our marina (Pleasant Hill).

On 7/27/2020 at 7:31 AM, JSG said:

As usual, no one had a mask on at the Ramp or our marina (Pleasant Hill).

I personally don't see a problem with that as long as people don't stand toe-to-toe to talk.  I've seen nobody wearing masks walking around the marina or ramp.  Outside fresh air and normal separation.  We try to stay clear of the crowds on busy weekends.  Our group of boating friends are all over 55 and I trust they are watching what they do.

Raft Up is cancelled this year, but a group is planning an unofficial one in Harmon.  I hope no problems arise from that.

I will leave my political thoughts out of this opinion but I will say I am not a fan of mandated mask usage.

A basic cloth mask is not and has never been shown as an effective form of protection form a virus (until the last few months). All they do is protect you from coughing or sneezing on someone and allow people to virtue signal. I do not wear one unless I have to go somewhere that will not let me in without it (like Kroger).

Wear a mask if you want, just leave me alone if I don't. I promise not to cough or sneeze on anyone.:)

On 7/29/2020 at 7:47 AM, JSG said:

I will leave my political thoughts out of this opinion but I will say I am not a fan of mandated mask usage.

A basic cloth mask is not and has never been shown as an effective form of protection form a virus (until the last few months). All they do is protect you from coughing or sneezing on someone and allow people to virtue signal. I do not wear one unless I have to go somewhere that will not let me in without it (like Kroger).

Wear a mask if you want, just leave me alone if I don't. I promise not to cough or sneeze on anyone.:)

I share the same opinion, but I must add:

When someone tells me I must do something OR ELSE, I will baulk at the idea for a moment and then think about it. If it will benefit the greater good and not do harm to others, I will do it because I want to and not because of the (OR ELSE).

If I believe doing something is wrong or against my better judgement, but if I don’t do it, someone will report me to the Politically Correct Police, then they can stick it in their ear and I will defend my rights accordingly.

If someone’s rights are somehow in conflict with my own, then I will normally respect their rights above mine as long as they demonstrate they will return the favor to me someday or pass it forward. (depending upon what it is).

I believe in following the path of least resistance and wish to get along with everyone. But when someone tries to impose THEIR WILL upon me, just because they want to, then the anchor falls to the ground, the anchor chain becomes taught, and the consequences can fall wherever they may.

Benjamin Franklin once said: “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Many Americans clamor for increased government control after a terrorist attack, mass shooting, and now with the Chinese flu pandemic. Many of our citizens have seen an unprecedented and unconstitutional surge of state and federal control over our lives, but, in the words of Ben Franklin, if we try to “purchase a little temporary safety by surrendering some of our Liberties to a tyranically inclined leaders, then we deserve neither.

Yes, the pandemic is scary, but in many ways the results of this sickness were either unpreventable no matter what controls were put in place, or they would not have happened had the government enforced the laws that are already on the books.

It is my belief, we should never recognize any unconstitutional restrictions on our liberty, because whatever may be achieved will be short lived and the government will be much more inclined to imposed even more controls in the future.

Don’t forget the provisions contained in the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution: the federal government has only those powers delegated to it by the Constitution, and that all other powers not forbidden to the states by the Constitution, are reserved to each state, or its people.