Welcome to Lake Cumberland

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wcmboater55

Diesel Outboard?

Cox Marine CXO300.  I first saw this in Southern Boating and thought I'd throw it out for you guys to ponder.  I think the price is around 50 grand?  The article said it has 100% higher peak torque at the crankshaft than the leading 300 HP gasoline outboards.  Do you think we'll ever see these on Cumberland?  I would think that diesel might make sense for rental houseboats someday, but not at 300 horse.

http://www.coxmarine.com/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPG6rtkdtfU

My pondering says, it is for people looking to say, look at what I bought.I say if you have the money,want it and it is not illegal go for it.

Hmmm, I wonder what EPA hurdles lay in front of a diesel on the water?

Most diesels weigh more per unit of power than a 2 stroke but the tree huggers are putting an end to the 2 stroke outboard. Maybe they are now a viable option.

Wonder how fresh the diesel fuel is on Cumberland.

45 minutes ago, Spoonbill said:

Wonder how fresh the diesel fuel is on Cumberland.

No need to worry about diesel like you would gas.  Diesel can be years old and still burn just fine, main issue is water.  If water gets into the injection pump then things break real fast.

From the internet for what that is worth.

In years past, this was a slow process, which is why you could get years of good life out of the fuel. Today, it’s still a slow process but it’s much faster than it used to be.  Usable life for diesel is now measured in months instead of years.

We said that fuel goes bad when it’s exposed to things in the environment that accelerate these processes. Exposure to air, water and heat + light are three big environmental factors.  Heat and light make a fuel go back more quickly by providing energy to drive the chemical reactions that break it down.

Another big factor that’s more common in today’s fuel is microbial growth. With modern diesel fuels not having the higher sulfur levels they used to have, there’s nothing left to prevent microbes from growing in the fuel. Microbes can make diesel fuel go bad pretty quickly by multiplying in the fuel, creating biomass formations, and producing acids that attack diesel fuel and break it down.

Measured in months, don't believe it

Have some really old equipment sitting around and some for more then a year until it gets used again, and so far no issues or signs of some.  Fuel in the refill tank in some cases have set even longer.  Do agree the growth can happen but that normally takes some wet damp conditions.

This year been using the equipment more but normally it just sits

Dozer, highlift, backhoe and dump truck

Wondering if the new diesel engines require DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). All in the states do now. I have one with and without. It never comes in contact with the fuel, but is added expense. Thought I read somewhere these were British.

I was wondering, do all the marina's have diesel.

The DEF is urea and has been used for many years at different plants to reduce pollution.  They still make diesels which use DEF or regeneration to clean the exhaust.  Both John Deere and Kubota use regeneration istead of DEF

Not all marina's have diesel and I know of only one on Dale which is willow grove. 

Must be intended for salt water. That is where I see a lot of diesel.

The houseboat we rented from State in 2005 had a diesel generator.  That boat and several like it are still in service.  I just wonder if it would be more convenient to have a single fuel type.