Welcome to Lake Cumberland

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MrHappy

Need help finding a camping spot

27 posts in this topic

Hello. I hope I am posting this in the right spot. If not please move it to the correct place.

For the past 5 years we have been taking our pop up camper and boat to Muskegon State Park, Michigan. We've found a great camping spot that I can park my Suburban with the trailer(Sea Ray 225 BR) still attached, pop up camper, 2 EZ Ups, truck and a few other cars. No one is camping behind us. The ramp is close enough that I can have the boat in the water and on my way in 15 minutes.

The last few years the water has been very cold. One day it is 70 + or - and the next 50. We put the boat in Muskegon Lake which is usually 10 degrees warmer than Lake Michigan. From Muskegon I can take my boat out on Michigan and to the beach at Muskegon State Park.

We want to find a similar spot(in size and privacy) in Kentucky or Tennessee. I would prefer a state park but am open to other suggestions. I would love to find a spot where I can park my boat behind my campsite. If you have a specific site number that would be great.

We are planning on the middle of July and usually camp for 12 nights. In Michigan you can reserve 6 months in advance. Muskegon State Park is so popular that 180 days before our reservation date I am sitting in front of my computer waiting for the reservation site to open.

Thank you.

Mr. Happy,

Echoing what Bsmitch said.

To that I would add also checking out what the Lake Cumberland State Park camp ground in Jamestown KY and Conley Bottom Resort camp ground in Monticello KY might offer you as well.

It does sound like you have a lot of vehicles and toys at your site, so honestly I cannot say I've seen too many campgrounds that can accommodate quite that much gear on one campsite. That is quite unique. But maybe you could have it close by instead.

One thing you will love is our water temperatures and the clarity of Lake Cumberland. Our friends who spend their entire summer on Lake St Clair in Michigan visit us each July and marvel at our warm and clear waters of Lake Cumberland.

With 1,200 miles of shoreline you can find beauty and solitude if that is what you desire on the water.

Michigan ads show lots of "Pure Michigan" images down here all summer, and sure looks refreshing.

But I want my water for swimming a little warmer than freshly melted snow ...

;)

Best of luck!

Hope you head down our way this summer...

Kendall Campground below Wolf Creek dam, All your equipment on 1 site not crowded, very nice. Also you can visit Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery.

32ft Camper, And 27ft Boat with Tow vechicle all on 1 site works for me.

Kendall Campground below Wolf Creek dam, All your equipment on 1 site not crowded, very nice. Also you can visit Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery.

32ft Camper, And 27ft Boat with Tow vechicle all on 1 site works for me.

Thank you all for the information.  I just tried Kendall and there are no sites available the week we want to go.  Nor the 2 weeks before or after.  Must be the place to go if it is already full.  

I have been looking at Cumberland campground on the Kentucky side.

Please do not stop posting information.

I plan on emailing Cumberland Point Campground to find out what they have available.

We used to camp a lot at Cumberland, before buying a place there.

The Cumberland Point area actually has 2 campgrounds, the private one that Campinman operates,and another one that is the Corps of Engineers site.

The Corps site is close to the lake, but fills up quick too.

Also, try Fishing Creek Corps of Engineers campground. Nice and close to the lake too.

The Corps campgrounds are reservable on reserveamerica.com in case you have not found it.

1. I checked Reserve America  website, It is all trashed out. Call them direct, Because they have plenty. I have never seen them all rented out before

After January 1st 2015 All sites will open to Reserve for 2015. All sites will be available then to reserve

Look at Holly Bay campground on Laurel River Lake. I believe it reserves 6 mo in advance through ReserveUSA

Welcome to the forum MrHappy :)

We take reservations and I believe have exactly what you are looking for in a campsite.  Go to our website and look at Site #12.  It is one of our overnight rentals with a huge yard with a great view of the pond and plenty of parking with a nice flat area under a tree for a canopy with afternoon shade.

Just give us a call or email to reserve. 

I'm sure that you will have a great stay at the Lake no matter where you stay.

You may want to try KOA campground in the Alligator 2 Dock area of Lake Cumberland. boat rentals are also available I believe. swimming pool there also.

As a former camping family my advise is to make a reservation and come on down. This is a big lake, not compared to Lake Michigan, but big enough to give you a lot of camping choices. We use to do the State Parks around Illinois and Indiana but after awhile we settled in at a private campground that offered a few more amenities.

Unless your coming on a holiday week I would guess you wouldn't need a reservation but campinMan would better answer that. After your here take a day in the car and check a few other sites and see what you like for the next trip. There are a lot of "day trip" things to do all around the lake to break up your search.

I'm betting that wherever you pick to stay your going to enjoy the vacation.

great advice... what caney cover says... once you're here on a non-major-holiday weekend you will have many choices in the several counties that surround Lake Cumberland ...!

Check out Campinmans place or a good second choice would be State dock camp grounds.   Either way you will love Lake Cumberland and the surrounding area.

CampinMan's place does look very nice. Someone there to keep an eye on my belonging while I'm on the lake is a plus. Been to their website a few times and it does look nice. A lot going for it.

Thank you all for your responses.  

I thought I would let you know we picked a site and campground, Lake Cumberland State Park.  We can't wait for summer to arrive.  Plan on spending almost 2 weeks on the Lake.   

Are there any family friendly area's on the lake where my 10 year old daughter can meet and have fun?  A beach or family friendly cove?  

From the satellite photo's it looks like I may be able to park the boat close to my campsite.  Is this possible?  Is it safe to leave overnight?   I do not have a problem putting in every day but would rather not.  How busy is the ramp in this park?

P.S. 

Thank you administrator,  for helping me with my new email address and log in.  

Mr. Happy,

Have a great time!  The Lake is awesome.  I cant help you much about things to do at that end, since we are always at our campground, but I think there is a good go cart track in Jamestown that some of our campers love to go to.

and PS, thanks to everyone giving us such high marks :)

We continue to strive to be the best RV Resort on the Lake ;)

Mr. Happy,

See it wasn't that hard to make a decision once you say " I'm done searching, we are staying here". You will enjoy State Park I'm sure. If your here for two weeks you have plenty of time to spend on and off the lake. Your daughter will love horseback riding at the park. My kids had to go every trip down for 10 or more years. Son and his wife still go.

You sure picked the right time to come and I'm betting you will meet other families at campground to pick a cove and hang out with. Other than that, cruise the lake, enjoy, and families abound to meet.

We are across the harbor at Jamestown, so I know you are in a great location on the lake. Check out the Fish Hatchery down below the dam on 127 about 10-15 minn. from the park, it's a great side trip. Kids like it and there is a lot to do there.

Are there any family friendly area's on the lake where my 10 year old daughter can meet and have fun?  A beach or family friendly cove?  

From the satellite photo's it looks like I may be able to park the boat close to my campsite.  Is this possible?  Is it safe to leave overnight?   I do not have a problem putting in every day but would rather not.  How busy is the ramp in this park?

* Are there any family friendly area's on the lake where my 10 year old daughter can meet and have fun? A beach or family friendly cove?

Little Falls aka Family aka Sid Belle Falls is normally pretty family friendly. There is also a Island up Wolf creek (might be underwater right now) but a lot of families congregate around it as well. Now that you are on the forum you might just be able to start your own family friendly raftup. ;)

*From the satellite photo's it looks like I may be able to park the boat close to my campsite. Is this possible? Is it safe to leave overnight? I do not have a problem putting in every day but would rather not. How busy is the ramp in this park?

Where is your campsite? On the north side of the peninsula it is mostly cliffs. on the south shore to the main lake there are some less steep areas but I sure wouldn't want to leave my boat in one unattended.

Hello all.  We are excited that next week is the start of our vacation on Lake Cumberland.  Eleven nights of fun and games.  

If any member happens to see this boat please give a shout out.  She is a Sea Ray and has Indiana stickers on her.

I have spent a lot of time getting her ready.  I hand sanded her with 1,000 grit sandpaper followed by hand compounding.  Of course hand polishing came next with hand waxing last.  I could not get in between the letters on the Sea Ray emblem so I took them off and ordered new ones.  Today a friend helped me change the impeller.  Last fall I did a major tune up, new plugs(found 1 that was cracked), wires, distributor and rotor.  The camper, vehicles and boat are locked and loaded.

We will be boating out of Lake Cumberland Resort Park.  We are glad to be going south instead of our usual north Lake Michigan vacation.  Water is 60+-  degrees up north, 

20150630_210521_resized.jpg

Edited by MrHappy

Nice ride there Mr. Happy!!  The water here feels great.  Nice n warm, but still refreshing!

I'm sure yall will have a great time camping at the state park, beautiful there.  Trees and shade galore, lotsa trails, places to play, indoor pool at the lodge, great food in their restaurant.  And of course, unmatched scenery surrounding our huge lake!!

That said, be sure to check weather reports often and know where you are on the lake, it is 100+ miles long and can be sunny on one end, severe weather in the middle.  All the recent rainfall has also deposited debris in the lake from the shorelines, so be very watchful.  

Have fun, be safe and keep us updated on your vacation!!

Thank you.  I already have 3 local web sites for weather on my phone.  That is assuming I can get reception for a Sprint phone.