Welcome to Lake Cumberland

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

9/11

Ghost Lakes - Lake Cumberland

37 posts in this topic

Dad and Uncle Jessie on Pumpkin Creek at the end of WWII.

post-715-0-59074700-1411010958_thumb.jpg

Grandpa with my aunts at old Jamestown Dock in the 1950's. Launch ramp is on right side of picture. I believe the clearing in trees on top of hill is where the main office and cabins are today.

post-715-0-70694500-1411011237_thumb.jpg

Not certain of exact location. Was thinking main lake at Old Rowena Landing but it doesn't look wide enough. 1950's.

post-715-0-83513300-1411011910_thumb.jpg

Wolf Creek Dam. Not sure if roadway across dam was open for traffic yet or not. No guardrails installed yet and road appears to slope to left (lake) side. Also appears to be a large sign or barricade in the road where the people are standing. Click to enlarge.

post-715-0-00316900-1411012244_thumb.jpg

Thanks 911, those are some great old pics for sure! Id love to see some pics that shows various areas on the lake bottom farms and stuff. I know most people back then didn't have cameras but I know someone out there has to have some. Like the pics and even video footage of the farmlands in front of the dam before construction that's on the "Story of Lake Cumberland" video. Im sure the Core of Engineers have more aireal pics of bottomland from the dam all the way to burnside, but ever getting them to share them would probably be near impossible.

I've put this one and some others up before, but likely they also did not survive the software transfer.  This is an old photo from my collection of a gathering at 76 Falls before the lake was impounded.  Guessing from the formal dress of the gentlemen, it was likely some sort of church gathering.

post-445-0-66809700-1411047259_thumb.jpg

KyAl98, 9/11 and anyone wishing to post historic pictures!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! A lot of members (and admins) love seeing these old pics.

Unfortunately, in the "big change over" a lot of historic pictures no longer show up. Some kind of compatability issues or something. There were some fantastic pics on here.

(I know someone who has a huge data base of historic pictures. It even rivals Cumberline's stash that never got printed. Maybe someday things will change and he can share. :) ) 

My families store at Burnside somewhere between 1910 to 1915. I can only identify two people in the photo, Joseph Conn Guffey and Jas Cundiff. They owned the Dry Goods store together and where half brothers. 

image.jpg

Edited by Heather